There are miles and miles of Texas, as Bob Wills famously sang long before Asleep at the Wheel recorded their live video, and I saw 1440 of ’em in six days on a road trip to the Texas Panhandle. Here’s what I learned.
1. The buffalo still do roam—within their corrals. But if they start eyeing you, don’t count on that fence.
2. Texas is ready-made for iPhone panoramas.
3. You can get a town named after you, if you start one up with your cereal fortune.
4. Texans take real good care of the 1930s gas stations that sell their favorite commodity, oil.
5. Folks are right friendly in Texas, and purty dang proud of their 1930s cafes.
6. There’s more glamour in small Texas towns than you’d expect.
7. There’s always somewheres fancy to visit.
8. Every Texas town keeps its treasures in a junk shop.
9. Though crime doesn’t pay in Texas, thanks to those Texas Rangers, it pays to brake for historical markers.
10. You won’t eat anything greener than iceberg lettuce.
11. You’ll have plenty of choices for burgers and barbecue.
12. The tallest building in any small Texas town is the courthouse, where you can get to its heart and history.
13. You’ll spend a lot of time at train crossings.
14. Most of the bugs in Texas will find your windshield and front grill.
15. If there are do-overs in life, then next time, be born with mineral rights.
You can learn a lot about Texas in six days—as I did, when I wanted to soak up life in the Panhandle to research the two novels I’m writing. And with 465 photographs in those 1440 miles, and even more inspiration to show for it, my creative well got a much-needed refill. In fact, it’s brimming over. So as the friendly Texas folk say, y’all come back to visit Pairings real soon. I’m serving up more Texas lore, images and tall tales, with those two books in the works. ♣
What did you learn on your last road trip?
- Travel along with me for more Art + Travel HERE.
- Stroll through my art prints and paintings HERE.
- Find some inspiration among 45 quotes on writing, art and creativity, HERE.
- I’m frequently shooting things from the past. You’ll find more in my Time Travels, HERE.
You can get a sneak peek of my upcoming novel:
For more on the art of writing, look HERE.
Get Popular Pairings each month: